Friday, September 3, 2010

Forgetable Places #1 - Fox Creek, Alberta

Have you ever read a travel book and been awed by the details of some magnificent or mysterious place.  But do those same books ever tell you about those forgotten an lonesome places located down the highway from the really cool places?  Well these are the places that I so often seem to work in.  I travel alot for my job and these forgettable and often indistinguishable places seem to be the lifeblood of my work.  And of all the places I have visited Fox Creek, Alberta is by far the loneliest and least favourite of all my trips and deserves a fitting tribute.

The beginnings of Fox Creek are entirely dull, yet somehow reminiscent of the current state of the place.  Apparently the town started with a single service station located along a quiet country road.  The Town of Fox Creek website boasts that the area now has apparently 7000 vehicles passing through on a daily basis.  But it is not like they have a choice as the town is located immediately adjacent to Highway 43, roughly between Grande Prairie and Edmonton.  I will hand it to the town planners however, as they graciously did not lower the speed limit on the highway as it passes by Fox Creek.

As far as amenities go I have a few recommendations.  For fine dining I would suggest Subway or the Sobeys grocery store as the safest choices.  For entertainment the choices are a little bit slim, but there are a few viable options.  Free Playboy Television at the Foxwood Inn almost never disappoints and throwing rocks against the wall at the Winks convenience store is probably more entertaining than you would think.

On my last visit to Fox Creek I asked a local contractor about living in the Town.  He was originally from BC and I was surprised to hear him say that is wasn't too bad living there.  But he proceeded to follow up that statement with "if you don't mind working every day and having absolutely nothing to do".Perhaps the best description I have heard of Fox Creek is that is was a glorified truck stop.  So next time you think your neighbourhood, town, or job sucks take a trip to beautiful Fox Creek, Alberta!  Or if you are bored check out this stunning gallery of images from the Town located here and I promise you will promise to never say you are bored again.



  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment