Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Beautiful People

On a whim, I typed the words "beautiful people" into google and although I did not know what I was looking for, I was surprised at what I found.  The first entry in google was a dating site called beautifulpeople.com.  I am in a relationship and even met my partner on the Internet, so I was not looking to join a dating website.  But I was compelled to see if the site was as shallow as I feared it would be.  And I was not disappointed. It turns out there is a club for the beautiful people and they even have a website. 

Billing itself as the largest network of attractive people in the world, the concept is that members decide through online voting who is considered "beautiful" enough to be granted access to the website.  In their own words "BeautifulPeople does not define beauty but gives an accurate representation of what society's ideal of beauty is". While the application process does allow you to include profile text, the overall feel of the website does not make it seem like Mother Theresa exemplifies the kind of beauty they are talking about.

The website even allows you to view those peoples profiles which did not make the cut.  Browsing a few of the rejected profiles, purely for research purposes, I did not notice anywhere for the applicant to include details such as volunteer service, recent random acts of kindness or number of  infectious diseases cured. Although I can only speculate as to why they were not approved for entry I can only assume it was because they were not good looking enough.

Perhaps I prescribe to a different definition of beauty, but I also don't think I could get access to the website on my picture alone.  While no one can tell another person who to be attracted to, I hope that it is more complicated than BeautifulPeople makes it seem.  But then again, greatpersonality.com does not make for the catchiest website.  All I know is that a thumbnail picture could never summarize the worth of the beautiful people in my life.

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment